Aug 14, 2010

roots

i don't really understand what's so wrong about being filipino and knowing how to speak the language. i'm proud to be filipino, we're multi-talented (sports, art, music, academics) and mix us with any other race and you come out with a beauty queen.. or king haha. but being all those things plus knowing how to speak the language has suddenly become some kind of social taboo.

jose rizal once said "Ang hindi magmahal sa sariling wika, daig pa ang hayop at malansang isda."

which, if my lousy filipino is correct, translates to: he who does not love his own language is worse than an animal and smelly fish.

my aunt once said, we're in canada already our kids don't need to know all that stuff from back home. i was shocked, though i love my aunt with all my heart, i just wondered how someone could be so arrogant towards the place they came from. just because i wasn't raised in the philippines, shouldn't mean i should completely forget where my roots come from. if your roots don't run deep then how do you expect to grow? if you choose not to acknowledge your roots then don't, just don't expect me to do the same. i love who i am and where my roots come from.

maybe i should attend the filipino parade downtown today.. nah, so far..... haha.

No comments: